Re: Tuba report

From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Aug 09 1995 - 07:04:08 PDT

Date: Wed, 09 Aug 95 06:04:08 PST
From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Tuba report

     I wish I'd been there... This make my daily 3rd Av. routine sound
     blah!
     - Stephane

Subject: Tuba report
Author: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis at Internet
Date: 8/8/95 11:52 AM

It was very good day...

I arrived at 3pm, followed closely by Brian White (the B in ABK Camps)
and three of his buddies. No other sailors showed, though I called about
a dozen besides putting the alert here.

Wind seemed abit on the light side, so went with the light wind wave
gear, an 8'8" ASD wave Enduro fitted with a new Lothar Schaup weed race fin
I ordered from the Gorge Fin Connection (billgfx@aol.com-DeleteThis), and my
venerable 4.7 Waddell XT.

The rest of the crew was rigging 4.7s and 5.3, but they all had wave fins
except Brain - he knows better, he's sailed Tuba almost as much as me.

Once out 100 yards or so, I got into good steady wind, hence went in to
flatten the sail. Then found that the good wind ( now further up the
beach) was right near shore and alomst dead offhore. I MOTORED on up the
beach. Sailed sweet smooth small waves knee-to-waist-high all by my
lonesome at Steam Engines for at least an hour, but the other guys never
even got close. I saw Brian saling for a bit, but I think he went back
to console his buds who were probably under-rigged. Then I went onward
and upward into the more exotic breaks that await the intrepid explorer.
More smooth water with more cool waves and solid wind - and no kooks and
no peanut gallery. I'm gettin' happy now...

The wind starts backin down, I notice a dearth of whitecaps and it's the
signal to head home. I make it back to Steam Engines (end of Limantour
Spit) OK, but soon run out of power completely. I had the foresight to
get real close to the beach so it was just a short swim to shore...
Waded and slogged a mile or so, then carried my gear up to the trail
behind the dunes, obviously it's time to visit The Tiki of Tubamanca!

The Tiki lies toppled in the scrub brush about halfway up the spit, like
an Easter Island god, but made of wood rather than stone. I discovered
him last year after a similar "out of wind" experience. He's kind of
hard to find, I think you need supernatural guidance since there are no
landmarks. Any way, I was carrying my gear all on my skull racks when I
got real tired, the board slipped, and i had to put it down and rest.
There was the Tiki right in front of me! I went and said hello to him,
then left the rig, and marched on with just the board. Took a short cut
back to the parking lot by paddling down and across the estero since the
tide was high. Nice. Got into dry clothes and had a beer. Put beer in
my jacket pocket and went hiking for my rig. Sun's going down, deer and
skunks are out, birds are twittering, it's heaven on earth. Happy to be
here. I poured the Full Sail Amber Ale all over the Tiki's mouth. We
made an agreement to look out for each other, and I hiked the mile back
with the rig on my head and songs in my heart.

Bob Galvan
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis