Re: Sailing endurance

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 07 1995 - 10:59:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:59:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sailing endurance

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Rob Garneau wrote:

> > Howdy, I got back from Sherman Isle about 10 this evening. Sailed there
> > yesterday from 7AM till 6:30PM.
>
> You must be Superman! How can you possibly sail all day? How many hours
> did you actually spend on the water? The longest I have ever been able
> to last is 3 hours sailing time/day and I don't consider myself in bad
> shape.

- Well, I was on the water for four hours at sherman yesterday.
That's the longest I've done this summer. I've been on the water
for up to 8 hours in the past...

> Does anyone have any tips for saving energy and extending sailing
> time?

- Don't waterstart....%-) !! Waterstarts that are complicated take alot of
energy out of you. I find that once I cross the line to where I'm doing
much more jibes than waterstarts, I can stay on the water much longer.

- The second thing is to make sure your lines are balanced. One way to
do this is to practice no-hands sailing. You really don't need to use
your arms too much in blasting back and forth, your hands should be
just lightly resting on the booms. One thing to check is if you are
using a "death-grip" all the time. It's easy to do when the wind picks
up.

- Lastly, if you want extra time on the water, you need to spend time
on the water. Get a big board/sail and blast around on those 6.5 days.
Slogging is also a really good workout. %-(.
I haven't done any other exercise than windsurf since about April.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis