Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 14:01:39 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 14:01:39 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

> Speaking of; I need to change out my U-joints on a couple of
> Chinooks, anyone know the best way to break a "red locktite" seal?

Did it just this morning - I just put the hourglass in a vise and
used a socket wrench on the fittings on either end. Took a lot of
oomph.

Also related - Chinook has just changed the hourglass they sell to a
very stiff plastic. When you buy a replacement hourglass, get the one
with the webbing included since the new hourlgass is taller.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have enough problems with the rubber joint
causing my board to flip upside down when the sail is in the water and I
expect the hard plastic will make this worse. Also, I loosened a mast
track using a mechanical joint, so now I'm leary of losing the
shock-absorber quality of the rubber. Anyone have any experience with
these?

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden