Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

From: Contractor (Francois_Jouaux@NeXT.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 14 1995 - 11:21:35 PDT

From: Francois Jouaux (Contractor) <Francois_Jouaux@NeXT.COM-DeleteThis>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 11:21:35 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

> I've heard differing reports of how frequently these pins or plain 1/4"
> stainless bolts break. Who knows of others who've had the same problem?

Exactly the same break happened to a friend a year and a half ago.
He had bought the 1/4'' pin the day before, used it a few hours, and it broke
just like yours, about three miles out from Coyote Point. We went that far
this day because we both had brand new equipment and we felt invincible...
It was a pretty rough day, I didn't want to leave him alone so we were in a
bad situation. After 1/2 hour, we were lucky enough to signal to a sailing
boat, but we ended up loosing the rig in the swells (it sunk like a stone,
allways tie yourself to it !). It took a long time to my friend to climb on
the boat, and I brought back his board to the Coyote marina.
Of course the shop replaced the pin. They refused our claim for the rig,
because we had no proof to show (we had lost both parts of the pin).
Since that I don't trust any universal pin that is less than 1/2''.

-Francois