Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 19 1995 - 11:44:02 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 11:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

On Fri, 19 May 1995, Will Estes wrote:

> 'Andrew Davidson says:'
> > After being skunked wed. at coyote point, I have decided it is time
> > to buy a big sail. By big, I mean something around 6.0. (I already
> > have a 5.3) My question is, given I weight 190lbs, and that my big
> > board is 125l. What should I get?
>
> At your size, is 6.0 enough of a jump? I think you should be looking
> at 6.5-7.0.

- I agree.

> > All of my current sails are wave sails. I assume that it probably does
> > not make much sense to get a wave sail this big? What size would you
> > recommend. Can anyone recommend a brand/model? (All of my current sails
> > are waddel)
>
> No question: in the larger sizes full-on race sails are the way to go.
> They have the most efficient lift of any sail, which is important for
> lighter winds.
>

> > Most importantly, anyone know where I can a sail at a good price this
> > time of year?
>
> Florida. This is not a joke. Florida has a big windsurfing
> community, and because of the lighter winds they have a lot of really
> large race sails. Summer is their off-season, so odds are that the
> shops are having closeouts, and there might be good deals on used
> sails as well.

- There's a sail company called AeroTech (in Fla), that I highly
recommend. They are mentioned in the May Windsurfing sail review.
The price is right and the quality is very high... BTW, 6.0 is
not a "big" sail. Berkley Windsurfing ( the on on San Pablo ) has a
fair selection of used stuff. I sailed an AeroTech 10.0 for a couple
years in San Diego and the sail is still like new.

- For a 6.0+ sail you want at least a couple camber inducers. More is
better. The big difference between a race sail and a wave sail is

1. The foot.
        - A race sail is built to close the gap ASAP. It has most
        of it's area down low and has a high aspect ratio. (i.e. a
        longer mast for a given sail area ).

2. Power.
        - A wave sail is meant for controlling power, a race sail for
        generating as much as possible. It's very difficult to "luff"
        or depower a race sail.

- I just bought a used WindWing 6.2 race, the $165 price is a very good
deal if the sail is not too abused. They are very nice sails, although
$$$ when bought new. If you get an old WindWing, make sure you get a
chance to rig it on your mast before you buy it. WindWings work best
on flextop masts, which are not very common. Most masts are constant
curve. When you rig it, check the sleeve for tightness/looseness and
check the top of the sail for twist-off.

- Have fun,

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis