Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 19 1995 - 10:24:38 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: 6.+ sail recomendations
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 10:24:38 -0700 (PDT)

'Andrew Davidson says:'
> After being skunked wed. at coyote point, I have decided it is time
> to buy a big sail. By big, I mean something around 6.0. (I already
> have a 5.3) My question is, given I weight 190lbs, and that my big
> board is 125l. What should I get?

At your size, is 6.0 enough of a jump? I think you should be looking
at 6.5-7.0.

> All of my current sails are wave sails. I assume that it probably does
> not make much sense to get a wave sail this big? What size would you
> recommend. Can anyone recommend a brand/model? (All of my current sails
> are waddel)

No question: in the larger sizes full-on race sails are the way to go.
They have the most efficient lift of any sail, which is important for
lighter winds.

> Most importantly, anyone know where I can a sail at a good price this
> time of year?

Florida. This is not a joke. Florida has a big windsurfing
community, and because of the lighter winds they have a lot of really
large race sails. Summer is their off-season, so odds are that the
shops are having closeouts, and there might be good deals on used
sails as well.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis