Re: speaking of tides, what about 3d?

From: Kristin Michele Mills (kmills@leland.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 11 1995 - 12:03:39 PDT

From: Kristin Michele Mills <kmills@leland.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: speaking of tides, what about 3d?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 12:03:39 -0700 (PDT)

> > 1. is SM tide roughly 3d ave?
>
> Yes, east end of the SM bridge, but Coyote and Palo Alto get pretty
> close to the same thing.
>
> > 2. tides are roughly 1 hr later per day, so it looks like low tide at 3d fri
> > will be about 1800. What all does one need to be concerned about there if
> > you're on the water at that time and is it wise to do so?
>
> Calculating forward, I get a low on Friday of 1.8 at 1700.
> Saturday: 2.1 at 1800, 2.5 at 1830.
>
> I consider anything less than 2.5 feet marginal and less than 2 feet I
> won't sail there. You can launch down to around 1 foot (with a lot of
> schlupping through the mud), but the sandbars are many. Although
> hitting one at speed is rarely fatal, but is surely dangerous and
> often expensive.

I disagree. I was on the water at 3rd ave. sailing through the inside
part exactly at low tide (with .9 feet) and did not hit one sand bar. You
can sail on a lower tide especially when it is so westerly, as the worst
sand bars are below the channel marker. I believe the 2.0 rule was more
for the old launch site where the mud is a lot softer and harder to get
through. The new launch is more of a shell bottom (not soft at all).

Just one persons oppinion. Kris :->