Safety kits and VHF radios

From: Dan Farmer (danf@play.asd.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Mar 06 1995 - 16:19:35 PST

From: "Dan Farmer" <danf@play.asd.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 16:19:35 -0800
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Safety kits and VHF radios

Hello to all-

With the imminent arrival of the wind and all the joy it brings, it is time for
me to put together a safety kit. Too many people were posting their tales of
SF Bay swimming and surviving last year.

In general, I'd like to encourage re-posting of last fall's safety kit thread.
 Ken and others posted some interesting stuff, but I don't remember it all.

Specifically, I've got questions about marine VHF radios. Which ones do others
own? I'm torn between an Apelco 510 and an Icom M-10 (both around $250). I
know that seems like a lot o' dough, but I would spend that on a couple of fins
or a boom without blinking. Besides, this is a piece of gear my wife can feel
good about my buying. Apelco's good point is its waterproof design and its bad
point is the use of Ni-Cad batteries, which are self-discharging over some
length of time. Icom's good point is the use of alkaline batteries and its bad
point is that it's not waterproof, making the baggie the only defense against
water. Any comments? Anyone know how long the Ni-Cad's take to
self-discharge?

So far, I plan to include the following in my kit:
-VHF radio
-strobe
-bungie cords for strapping rig to board
-25' polypro tow line
- 2 or 3 6' downhauls
-$20 (for the cab ride of shame)
-whistle
-knife with a lanyard to tie it to me
-something to make me visible to a helicopter in the daytime (suggestions???)
-what else???

This leaves the question of carrying it. I'm confident it has to go on my
back, but I don't know of a PFD with a built-in backpack and I'm not good at
sewing. Any ideas from the assembled multitude?

We can't go sailing yet, so let's all huddle around the tube and think of how
to make it safer when the wind comes.

Later-
-df