Re: Re: Dynafiber booms

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Nov 17 1994 - 12:29:20 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: Dynafiber booms
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 12:29:20 -0800
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@cache.crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

   Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 12:10:18 -0800
   From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> I switched from Fiberspar to Dynafiber masts and Gulftech booms, and my
> equipment failures *ended*. My next boom will be a either a Dynafiber
> or another Gulftech.

   You're not willing to trust a Fiberspar boom whose arms are well-proven
   and front-end now has a year's successful track record, but you are willing
   to trust a Dynafiber boom the first year they make them with *no* history
   at all?

Sounds strange, yes? Being a human is an interesting thing. There are
some stores I just won't shop at and some companies who's products I
just won't buy for various reasons. It gives me power to be able to
decide such things, a very human experience. I can understand someone
buying an less proven product from Company 'B' strictly because they
don't want to reward Company 'A' for selling a faulty product. It's the
same reason that we put people in jail even though recidivism (sp?) is
high. It's called Justice (with a capital J), and we humans think that
it exists, and it makes us feel better after something bad happens.

>From strictly a safety point of view Ken is probably right, that this
doesn't make sense (except that since his Dynafiber mast hasn't broken
so he has reason to believe that the company knows what they are doing
and will build good booms as well). But from a human and free market
point of view it does. Vendors beware! Bad products will haunt you for
years! If only Microsoft didn't buy every company that was better at
something then they are ...

Jack Greenbaum | Ricoh California Research Center
jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
(415) 496-5711 voice | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002
(415) 854-8740 fax |