Re: I'm a CFX owner!

From: David Stuart (dstuart@mail.qntm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Nov 10 1994 - 02:35:00 PST

Date: 10 Nov 1994 18:35:00 U
From: "David Stuart" <dstuart@mail.qntm.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re:  I'm a CFX owner!
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

        Reply to: RE>> I'm a CFX owner!

I sail a full quiver of CFX boards, 8'4", 8'8", and 9'0", and have been
sailing CFX for about 4 seasons. I have been buying new boards each season
and have had a chance to sail everything they've built. The constructions
have changed considerably in that time, and their most recent ('93,'94)
boards are extremely strong in the CR versions. This is their divinicell
sandwich construction. CR stands for Competition Race. Over time they have
had three different constructions.

SE = Strength Extreme... Not used by CFX anymore, (strong by comparison to
other epoxy boards back then). This SE construction was accomplished by
laying up alot of high quality glass and molding it using heat and pressure.
This was replaced by the much stronger CR construction.

CR = Competition Race... This is a sandwich board. CFX uses molding
techniques, divinicell construction, and extra glass layers in load points
to build a very jumpable board in this construction. Most of my boards are
CR because I weigh 208 lbs, and need extreme board durability sailing the
washing machines of SF bay and the delta when its rolling in tall.
I have never broken or damaged a CR in 4 years. Many of my delta friends
only sail the CFX "CR" boards and have recorded hundreds of loops and jump
jybes without damage. (Don't try it on the old SE construction)

R Series = Race board for team riders.... These are extremely light weight
boards. Built in very limited quantities, these boards are molded more than
once. A series of special lay-ups with reduced glass layers, lots of special
shaping and carefully squeezed out wet glass lay-up, and multiple moldings
are required to achieve a significant weight reduction and yield a strong
board. I never jump my R Series boards because they have less glass, less
epoxy, are much more expensive than a normal CR, and all but impossible to
replace because they are only manufactured by special order.
  But they are FAST. I have an 8'8" that weighs in at 12.5# for example.
Great for flat water speed sailing. Incredible accelleration, with the same
easy jybing characteristics.

Last month, 3.5 Performance published a review on the '95 CFX 8'8" CR and
gave it the highest evaluation I have ever seen for a high wind speed/slolom
board.
Glad to see that this little local company has got everything together and
starting to get some very positive feedback. Apparently they are very
popular in Japan now, and a number of pro riders are ordering them as white
boards. I believe their '95 board line will include a 4'th offering, a 9'4"
Course Board. That should work in the lighter air parts of the country and
help them to penetrate the bigger market.

I am interested in any other opinion. Please send to:

dstuart@qntm.com-DeleteThis