Re: Preserve 3rd Ave.

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Nov 05 1994 - 17:15:53 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Preserve 3rd Ave.
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 1994 17:15:53 -0800
From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis>

> As Keith from Vela explained it to me, the amounts of money generated from t
> Windsurfing concession are fairly minimal compared to the amounts that VB Go
> claims that it can generate (app. $2 MILLION per year).

Well yes, but windsurfing needs a much smaller area, and close to the
water, which is not a likely place for the greens unless the golf
ball manufacturers give a kickback to the club.

It's a little late for this---unless I find a way of doing it
on Monday---but someone (me I suppose) should find out what
kind of income windsurfing generates for Cal Adventures at
the Berkeley Marina. They rent boards and wetsuits on the
spot.

On the other hand I suppose someone already got this
information from Vela.

> I think that the much better economic argument would be that by encouraging
> windsurfing concession, Foster City makes this site very attractive for late
> development by a major hotel chain. You could argue that having a world-cla

Third Ave is not really a Hawaiian beach. Yes, any windsurfer would
love to stop at a hotel there, but remember that we are a small
minority of the business travelers.

> would build the restaurant it had been discussing on the point overlooking t
> he windsurfers,
> this would give them a really unique selling point for diners: being able to
> watch
> the windsurfers from up high on their perch. This would clearly give the re
> staurant
> a unique selling proposition against other restaurants in the immediate area

We should check with the management of H's Lordship at the Berkeley
Marina. Their restaurant has the best windsurfing view of the Bay
Area: a strong swell forms just under their windows, and people jump
and jibe right there.

I know because I did it myself. I don't know what's more fun, for
the patrons to look at the windsurfers, or for the windsurfers to
know that they have a captive, paying audience. I surely put more
effort into my jibes under the restaurant than elsewhere. ---Luigi