Re: safety equipment

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Sep 22 1994 - 01:54:08 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 01:54:08 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: safety equipment

> Does anyone else think smoke
> flares may provide a lot better visibility in the water during daylight?

I do think smoke flares would be a more visible than meteors in the day,
but they are still pretty transient. The only ones at West Marine are
big (like auto flares), and still only last 50 seconds. They used to
have some much smaller ones, but they don't carry them any more.
The ones I'm thinking of are ~1" diam and 1" long; does anyone know
where to find these?

I found the ultimate in personal visibility in the West Marine catalog:
a self-inflating mylar helium ballon shaped to be a radar reflector.
At 48" across and 100' up, it ought to be pretty visible. Then
reality intrudes: $200, one-shot use, will fill your whole fanny pack.