Re: 3rd ave

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 14 1994 - 18:08:45 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 18:08:45 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 3rd ave

This needs to be handled carefully, in a well thought out way. I Foster City
flaming will probably not be productive. Randy Anderson of the SFBA has been
handling most of the existing inprovements at 3rd, and has a lot of experience
with the F.C. city council. The biggest problem is that they don't have any
interest in serving the windsurfers at 3rd, mainly because they view them as
non-Foster City residents. Even if they charged a few bucks to park at 3rd,
by the time the city paid someone to collect the money, it just wouldn't
amount to much revenue (especially compared to revenue bases like Costco).

Either the SFBA needs to convince F.C. that developing a windsurfing park
can be beneficial to F.C. (not likely) or the SFBA can use BCDC regulation
to lever F.C. to provide some level better than what exists today. I believe
that the main access ramp from the parking area is unfinished, and is a
complete hazard! It's just a matter of time before someone breaks an ankle
stepping off the end of that ramp at high tide! This might be an angle to
take to the BCDC to get some presure on F.C. to finish/improve what is
already there.

Ideally, a large group of F.C. residents that windsurf at 3rd Ave might
catch the F.C. City Council's attention. This effort should be funneled
through the SFBA, that's what they're there for.

Most importantly, though, is to maintain a civil attitude toward Foster
City. Writing angry (threatening?) letters to them will only make them
less responsive toward the windsurfing community.

Sounds like a good time for another 3rd Ave SFBA meeting!

~Jim
Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466
SunSoft fax: (415) 336-6015