Crissy on Sunday

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 06 1994 - 13:33:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 13:33:28 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Crissy on Sunday

A very strange weekend at Crissy. Fog *pouring* through the gate,
heading toward Angel Island. Sausalito was in sunlight, but the
bridge was totally covered, with the fog about 100' off the deck.
You could just barely see the base of the South tower. Big wind
shadow off the beach, 3-4 AR's depending on fluctuations in the fog
and wind direction. Sailors would slog out and disappear into the
fog bank, where the wind was 5.5-5.0, building stronger on the north
side of the channel. I went out on my 6.3/9'nonose, and was
overpowered in the windline most of the time. Some screaming reaches
through maytag chop in the middle, with some flat water ripping just
outside of Anita Rock. Very unsettling, sailing with .5 mile
visibility, and a chorus of fog horns blowing from all directions.
Funny thing was, in all the fog, the ferry boats were still taking
tourists out to "see" the Golden Gate Bridge :^)

I sailed from about 5 - 6:30pm.

~Jim
Jim Paugh email: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis
ONC Technologies phone: (415) 336-4466