Re: Should I buy an old board?

From: Matt O'Yamaguptakov (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 26 1994 - 14:40:51 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Should I buy an old board?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 14:40:51 -0700
From: Matt O'Yamaguptakov <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> I'm looking for some board opinions, on a first time short board.
>
> The first question is if you believe the 'classic boards' article in
> WindSurfing or not? Using that as a guide, I'm curious about the
> Screamer or the Electric Rock. For $500, it looks like I can get
> last years models of either a used Screamer, or a brand new
> e-rock. Anybody have opinions on which is a better purchase?

> I weigh 155, and will use the board in the bay at coyote, and
> probably some flat water sailing too, until I get those darn jibes.
> I'm intermediate, and can waterstart no problem.

Contrary to what everyone else has been suggesting, I would not
recommend getting a glass board. Based on what I can remember about my
first shortboard experience, the biggest challenges you will have will
be learning to jibe, learning to get on a plane in light wind and
learning to stay upwind. Unless you are already very careful about
handling your equipment, you may also want a board which is fairly
durable.

I think the "classic boards" would be a great choice for a first short
board. Being epoxy, they are generally lighter and more durable (ding
resistant) than their glass counterparts of the same length. The
lighter weight and slightly greater flotation will help you plane
quicker. The classic shapes will enable you to jibe easier yet still
stay upwind fairly easily. Although I have not sailed the E-rock, I
have sailed the Screamer and would consider it the easiest jibing slalom
board I have ever sailed. The bottom shape also makes it fairly
controllable in chop.

As others have stated, the volume may be a little high for higher winds
but I imagine that as a beginning shortboarder, you wont be going out in
4.0 conditions with 3 - 4' chop. As you progress, you can buy a shorter
high wind board and save your "classic board" as a light wind board. I
am 160 lbs and my first short board was a 9'3" Seatrend Epoxy. I sailed
it for at least one season in up to 4.0 conditions until I was ready for
a shorter board.

As for the glass boards being recommended, I have sailed an 8'8" glass
ASD Bay Slalom and found that it did not jibe nearly as easily as a
Screamer. The rails are pretty boxy which makes it good for staying
upwind but makes it more difficult to jibe. It also had significantly
less flotation than my epoxy 8'8" ASD board. This made it impractical
for light wind sailing. Although the old ASD glass Surf Slaloms jibe
very easily, the rounded rails make it difficult to stay upwind. The
ding resistance on glass boards is also very poor. As a beginning
shortboarder, you are likely to be blowing many jibes, getting
catapulted or slammed frequently, chasing your board down the parking
lot as it flys off your roof rack and and in general abusing your board.
Most epoxy boards are much more ding resistant than glass boards and can
take more abuse.

In my opinion, go epoxy and in particular, go with a "classic board".

-matt