Re: Re: Today at San Luis (fwd)

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 05 1994 - 14:32:54 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Re: Today at San Luis (fwd)
To: kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis (Kirk Lindstrom)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 14:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

'Kirk Lindstrom says:'
> maybe the girls were on epoxy boards rather than the glass boards I
> usually see many of the people at SLR sailing. I've been the fastest
> on the lake there on a few occasions and other times there were some
> VERY fast sailors. You really need to compare speed against a know
> as Ken and I do.

Fair enough. But the only real test that counts for anything is a radar
gun. And since I don't have that, I have to go by subjective impressions.
You raise good points that there are a lot of variables in board and fin
selection that I did not account for. But all I am saying is that given a
constant board and fin, with well-known characteristics to me, the sail was
dramatically slower than what I am used to sailing.

Let me try a different take on this: I was on a sail yesterday that is designed
as something like a bump-and-jump sail. It was something between a surf and
a race sail. And all I'm trying to say is that this sail was not as fast
as a race sail.

That's not a spectacular claim, really. A bump-n-jump sail isn't
supposed to be as fast as a race sail, by design. If I took a Neil Pryde
Wave sail and made the claim that it was a lot slower than my World Cup
Race Mk V, would that surprise anyone? Would you say "well, it might have
been your board or your fin?" The Northwave Tri-Lite is a very nice sail;
I'm just pointing out that it doesn't meet my need for speed, and it isn't
fast by comparison to a good race sail. By comparison, I love my Northwave
Race sails.

> > The problem with the Tri-Lites was that it has a surfy-bottom, so it was
> > impossible to close the gap, and it is also a plastic instead of monofilm
> > interior panel (made to be indestructable rather than the fastest thing on
> > the water).
> >
> > I guess I would summarize it by saying that when the board and fin are
> > well-known to you, you instinctively know from the force you are feeling on
> > the sail how fast you should be going. I was often way-powered yesterday,
> > but the force on the sail just wasn't translating to scary-fast speed.

> fin selection?

I was afraid you would ask that. It was a Boyd bump-n-jump. But, again,
that's the find I always use on the Hip-Hop, and I have been at the Forebay
on that board and fin with a 4.5 Race sail, and the difference was
dramatic.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis