re: Board Suggestions

From: Rich Schumacher (rich@mptp.varian.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 23 1994 - 13:24:36 PDT

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 13:24:36 -0700
From: rich@mptp.varian.com-DeleteThis (Rich Schumacher)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: re: Board Suggestions

>Please give me your thoughts on: 1) shapes; 2) construction (epoxy v.
>polyester/glass); 3) manufacturers; 4) durability; and 5) cost (e.g. is the
>extra cost of epoxy worth the savings in weight/etc. for this type of
>high-wind board). I'd like to give a local outfit my business (e.g. ASD,
>C-FX, Mike's Labs), but don't know if custom or production is the way to go.

I sail an 8'6" ASD glass pintail bump & jump shape (old style, not a no-nose)
from 3.4 - 5.3 (170 # sailor). It's much easier to go fast and/or upwind on the
bay than my 8'5" no-nose ASD wave board. It has a much smoother ride than an
epoxy board, and if it dings (which hasn't happened), you don't have to worry
about water absorption. This board has taken a lot of abuse, including lot's
of pounding when I first went into the waves, without any problems. If you wait
a bit, you should be able to get one with straps for $699 at ASD during one of
their periodic sales. I've also seen these for around $300-$500 (used) at ASD.
The only negative about this board is that it doesn't like to go upwind very
well, but if it's windy enough, that's not a problem.
Rich Schumacher