Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 22 1994 - 21:13:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 21:13:18 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

The Coast Guard wants to reduce rescues, and everyone wants to increase
safety, right?

I was kind of woolgathering today (okay, I was 2 miles offshore at 3rd
Ave, looking for "the big ramp") and it occurred to me that when you
find yourself in the water without working transportation, you tend not
to think of all the possible ways to work out your problem. It seems
to me that two kinds of safety handouts might be useful:

    1) The SFBA Tutorial Guide to Self and Windsurfer-Assisted Rescue.
    This would be a page or five of accumulated wisdom on what to do in
    a breakdown situation: keeping warm, signalling, jury-rigging for
    sailing back in, derigging for self-rescue, how to assist a downed
    sailor, when to call the Coast Guard. Also things like what to put
    in a rescue kit.

    2) The Cliff Notes Condensed In-The-Water Guide to Windsurfing Rescue.
    This would be the key points of the tutorial, printed on something
    waterproof and foldable to wallet-sized to go in harness or wetsuit
    pockets, rescue kits, etc. This would be intended to remind folks
    of the important items and help them think through their options.

It seems to me that an ITW Guide cannot contain enough detail to be
standalone, but acts as a reminder of your options. The Tutorial
contains the full description of each technique. I've been saving
postings on rescue techniques lately to serve as raw material for such
guides.

I think that a key part of this proposal is that these guides be free
and widely available, like at all the area shops and major sailing
sites. Does anyone know how/where to print things on something
waterproof? If the cost is too high for SFBA's budget, I would guess we
might convince the local shops to spring for the printing costs.

Comments, anyone?

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air."
                    -- John Gillespie Magee Jr., "High Flight"