Warning: adjustable WH bases

From: JOHNSON_DAVE@Tandem.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jun 17 1994 - 11:00:00 PDT

Date: 17 Jun 94 11:00:00 -0700
From: JOHNSON_DAVE@Tandem.COM-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Warning: adjustable WH bases

Several years ago I had an adjustable Windsurfing Hawaii mast base. This was
not the "star" type - it was rectangular with a relase lever which let you
adjust its position "on the water". It had 2 serious defects:

1) It had a red button on top which allowed the mast foot to be released from
   the base. However, if you landed hard and flat the shock would spring it
   open with the result that the rig separated from the board. This happened
   to me way out at Coyote in big swells and it took me a long time to get
   board and rig connected again.

2) The "footprint" of the base on the deck of the board was too small with
   the result that too much lateral stress was put on the mast box - this
   caused the box to loosen on my glass wave board.

I've used quite a lot of WS gear without too many problems but this thing
really sucked - if anybody else has one I would junk it now.

Dave