Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

From: Fariborz Rostami (fariborz@cognex.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 17 1994 - 10:46:37 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 10:46:37 PDT
From: fariborz@cognex.com-DeleteThis (Fariborz Rostami)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Urgent:Crissy Field Access restriciton!

kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> > 2) All windsurfing sites on the bay should have a bulletin board
> > explaining the need for having a permit and all the fines and penalties
> > if one does not have one.
>
> Sure, you could put up signs at the major spots (Coyote, 3rd, Chrissy, etc).
> But what do you do about the person who launches from some oddball "secret
> spot"? And who pays for the signs?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree, just pointing out some
> practical problems...

The goal here is to decrease the amount of rescue efforts needed for windsurfers. I do not think any plan will be perfect. But anything that we can do to improve the situation will be better than doing nothing. Probably 95% of all the windsufers on the bay use 6 or 7 launch sites. At some of these launch sites such as Cayote Point there is already a bulletin board. I am sure that SFBA can also help in putting up others if needed.

> > 3) It would be nice to have a bright waterproof tag that one would wear
> > on his/her arm. This way it would be easy to determine if one has a
> > permit or not, from a distance.
>
> Why would we care? I'm sure the Coast Guard isn't going to refuse to rescue
> someone because they don't have the tag. Besides, I don't want to have to
> deal with a tag for each of the 3 wetsuits I wear at various times of the
> year.

The intention is not for the Coast Guard to accept or reject rescuing people. It can help other windsurfers to talk to individuals on the beach who may be getting themselves into situations that they can not handle.

> > 4) Each site on the bay should have clear marking explaining the level
> > of windsurfing which is recommended for that site.
> See comments for #2. Also, how do you describe the level of skill required?
> Or even decide it? Besides, the level of skill required changes with the
> conditions (I have no problems with people learning to waterstart going out
> at 3rd on a 5.5 day, but on some of the 3.5 days we've had recently, it's a
> whole different story.)

It sounds like there is a misunderstanding about the goal here. The goal is to inform the new comers of the average conditions at each site and not to stop people from sailing at that site. The word "recommend" is the key word.

fariborz.