Re: (fwd) Coast Guard and Airport Rescuing Windsurfers (fwd)

From: Stephane@walker.com-DeleteThis, DuBois@walker.com-DeleteThis, (Stephane@walker.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 15 1994 - 06:25:40 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 06:25:40 -0700
From: Stephane@walker.com-DeleteThis, DuBois@walker.com-DeleteThis, <sld@walker.com-DeleteThis>
Posted-Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 06:25:40 -0700
Received-Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 06:25:40 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: (fwd) Coast Guard and Airport Rescuing Windsurfers (fwd)

I heard a different story. The coast guard who stops and checks 3rd av at
the end of the day said that one guy out of Crissy broke his arm. He stayed
in the water for 2.5 hours as the CG could not find him (let's talk about
this rescus stuff a little more). He was finally picked up by a sailboat
around Alcatraz... Does anybody know more? Was the guy okay after all this
time in the water?

Yesterday at 3rd was plenty radical. I sailed from 6:30 to 8:30 on my usual
7'10" with a 3.9 sail (180#). I was way overpowered most of the time. 3.0 would
have sufficed. I did not dare checking out the channel... I assumed mast high
breaking and settled for that. It was probably around 35knots gusting over 40
(even though the report suggests it was a little less at that time).
Jumping was tricky because of the board taking so much wind. You'd get up and
if the board was not positionned correctly you'd get slammed right back in the
water in a rather unvoluntary 360 Jump fashion.
I can only remember one windier day than this one back in November 2 years ago
where you could hardly stand on the shore as the wind was pushing in the 60
knots.
- Stephane

...FYI

...Does anyone have more info ?