Re: Rescue at 3rd

From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 08 1994 - 08:27:04 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Rescue at 3rd
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 94 08:27:04 -0700
From: kenb@hpindck.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis

Steve York writes:

> Never, ever, ignore people who are down in the water
> and don't get up and sail for a long time.

Yep, got that right. I was at 3rd, and saw Mark sometime around 5:15, I'd
guess. He hadn't known about the harness strapped to the back trick, so I
told him about it. He started up, and seemed to be making progress at first.
I took a quick run towards the channel mark and back, planning to keep an eye
on him as he worked his way in. Never saw him again.

Moral of the story: Don't leave a down sailor if there's any swell - it's
hard to find them!

Ken Brown
(Big smile on my face, stretched out arms, but still feeling a wee bit guilty)