Re: 3rd Ave Golf Balls, SJ mercury

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 18:31:14 PST

To: 3rdave@yahoogroups.com-DeleteThis.com, wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
cc: "Peter Thorner" <eyes4hire@aol.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: Re: 3rd Ave Golf Balls, SJ mercury
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:31:14 -0800
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>

Subject: 3rd Ave Golf Balls, SJ mercury
From: "Peter Thorner" <thorner@sfba.org-DeleteThis.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:34:48 -0800

(1)-- 3rd Avenue Golf Balls

--
During the 2004 season, I asked windsurfers and kitesurfers to report
all golf ball incidents so that we would have a record that we could
show to the City and the course and also a record that could be used in
a legal action.  I have been forwarding the list to the City and the
course so that they are clearly on notice that the problem continues.  I
am going to forward the final list of incidents to the City and the
course before the end of the year so that they are fully aware of the
extent of the problem (to the degree that we can document it).  If any
of you are aware of incidents that may have not been reported to me,
please get me the information including: --

Time & Date Location Injuries or Damage Ball from course or driving range Witness/Reporting Party Injured Party -- It is best to have well documented incidents so that we have the names of witnesses who would be willing to testify or give statements if we end up with legal action or a push at the City Council. It odes not seem like the negotiations between the City of Foster City and the owner of Marina Point Golf have been--productive. We were asked in the spring--to be patient so that the course and City could come to an agreement on--modified lease terms that would allow the nets be raised to a much--higher elevation. As far as I can tell, there has been little or no progress toward the course and the City reaching an agreement whereby the safety nets raised would be raised. I am going to consult with an attorney and try and evaluate whether we might prevail in an injunctive action and see if we can get an idea of what the costs would be involved. If the nets are not going to be raised any time soon,--one possibility--that was considered by the consultant to the course was limited flight golf balls. --

Please forward this message to any 3rd Ave regulars who might have information not previously reported. Please reply to me at thorner@sfba.org.-DeleteThis.com --

(2) Save The Bay - San Jose Mercury Article -- A reporter for the Mercury News is working on a story on monitoring of bay water quality and recreation (see below). Save The Bay, with our support, recently succeeded in getting a new state law passed that requires testing of bay water at recreation areas to be up to the standards for coastal (ocean) beaches. Please forward to any--Peninsula--windsurfer or kitesurfer who might be interested? -- KMizany@savesfbay.org-DeleteThis.com writes: I hope this finds you well.-- I was wondering if you knew of any windsurfers who live in the South Bay and who recreate in the Bay (at Candlestick or where ever).-- The San Jose Mercury News is interested in a potential story on beach monitoring in the Bay, and we are trying to help find a local angle for him, which could be the perspective of a San Jose windsurfer or something I posted this to wind-talk before, but no one has gotten in touch with Kimia so far. It would be great to get some input from a water person in the article so that people remember that the south bay isn't just a big mud puddle.>>> KMizany@savesfbay.org-----DeleteThis.com Ph: 510-452-9261 www.savesfbay.org --

-- Peter Thorner San Francisco Boardsailing Association