RE: Places to rent in Maui?

From: Tracy Pierce (TPierce@goldengate.org-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 15:12:42 PDT

From: Tracy Pierce <TPierce@goldengate.org-DeleteThis.com>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com'" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Cc: "'weers@mauiwindsurfco.com-DeleteThis.com'" <weers@mauiwindsurfco.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: RE: Places to rent in Maui?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:12:42 -0700

Of course I immediately worried when I read Mike L's caveats here re buying
used gear from Maui Windsurfing Company. Then I was reassured by Dave P's
testimonial (both below).

I got my Maui Projects 8-5 board Friday, as promised by Maui Windsurfing
Company. The ding photos (emailed to me almost immediately after my
inquiry) were not quite all-inclusive, and the invoice is rubber-stamped "As
Is, no warranty" and "All sales final, no refunds or exchanges". Also, some
fresh damage occurred, probably during packing, which was uh, overlooked.
I'm on my second glass coat fixing a nice crush wound to the tail, which I'd
love to blame on shippers but can't - the ding was carefully wrapped in 2
inches of foam, a pretty good packing job.

So today I contacted the company; they're being sweet about it, and
crediting my plastic with $70 to cover the repair, and I'm happy, and will
definitely not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

But yes, I could have, should have, been more careful and demanding re
damage evidence. Mark is right, caveat emptor. "Excellent" is a bit
subjective, but after I fix the butt and replace the other clear-epoxy
repairs with pigmented- and a little paint, the board will definitely be
excellent. If I were selling that board, I'd be hard-pressed to come up
with the right adjective, as "Very good" is not good enough, especially
coming from an enthusiastic salesperson. Maybe "A-" or "B+"? Anyway I
saved > $600 vs brand new. still happy.

Thanks, wind_talk, for being there!

Tracy Pierce