SFO: Wisdom Willie

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 14:11:00 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:11:00 EST
Subject: SFO: Wisdom Willie
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis

I sent this out to a broad list of people who are active re. SFO but I figure
maybe everyone should hear it >>>

I did a short live spot on KGO 7 at SFO yesterday on the heels of Willie
Brown. Willie got about four minutes and I had about one, so I couldn't
counter all of his points, but here is what he had to say about the Bay:

"There is nothing natural about the bay. The bay has been rearranged so many
times and on many occasions for the worse."

The implication seems to be that it is unreasonable to oppose the dedredation
of the bay given the damage already done. This is a good arghument for
destroying all natural areas that have suffered some loss. Once you start
cutting trees in the woods, why stop until you've gotten to the other side?

The entire quote in response to a question about opposition to runways from
the environmental community:

"Well, you are always confronted with people who really believe they would
like to roll the period back to when this (SFO) was a little field with one
little shed. They are firmly of the opinion that there should be no
disturbing or rearranging of what they say is natural in nature. There is
nothing natural about the bay. The bay has been rearranged so many times and
on many occasions for the worse. What we're talking about doing is building a
runway with the most environmentally sensitive materials and tools and for a
very environmentally sensitive purpose: the saving of lives of people and the
whole economy of this region. This is not just an issue for San Francisco and
it can be done with a level of sensitivity and I hope the environmentalists
will impact positively on it, not negatively."