RE: Trip to Australia

From: Chilton, Owain (GEIO) (Owain.Chilton@geio.ge.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 10:02:00 PST

From: "Chilton, Owain (GEIO)" <Owain.Chilton@geio.ge.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Trip to Australia
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:02:00 -0500

Jeff,
I was there the year before Brad and visited both Margaret River and
Lancelin. I didn't get to sail for various reasons. However, I agree with
everything Brad says and can add that Margaret River is definitely NOT the
place to take a wife who is looking for something gentle. You have to climb
down a flight of steps (something like Santa Cruz) to a small launch spot
(gap) in the reef called "The Keyhole" You then have to sail straight
downwind in a narrow channel in the reef to get into deeper water, then out
and back upwind to the peak. I didn't see anyone windsurf it the day I was
there, because there was a surfing competition in progress, but I can guess
that experienced sailors can find the launch and return tricky. Add into
that the wave is pretty heavy (While I was there, one of the surfers snapped
his board in half during a heat), and I think you get the general picture.
I would characterize it as a challenging experts only spot.

Having said all that, I'd love to try sailing there :)

One more thing. If you up for some 4WD adventure, don't miss the 40 miles of
off-road driving in the dunes and on the beach between Lancelin and
Pinnacles National Park. It's brilliant fun.

Chilly.