How bad do you want it?......................................Tuba

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 08:00:47 PDT

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Subject: How bad do you want it?......................................Tuba
To: wind_talk@jr.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis, joani.g.gur@ac.com-DeleteThis, GaliaGur@aol.com-DeleteThis
Cc: windfind@metro.net-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:00:47 -0400

Tuba is one of my favorite places on earth to sail. The natural beauty is
amazing. The wild life is everywhere. There are no people, no cars, no
telephone wires, just sun, wind and waves. Yesterday the wind was setting
up right.

On my drive out to Tuba I passed a car full of sun tanned German tourist
who were leaving. I asked them if it was windy on the beach: "ya, very
vindy on beach, and big waves too, very big". This made the 8 mile drive
to Limantour seem like 10 hours. Once I crested the last hill I was
breathless: white water from wind and big ass waves from the launch all the
way to the break. The waves were feathering in the side off wind - much
like in the movie the endless summer.

At the parking lot, the wind seemed a bit less. I run to the beach to
check it out, on the way to beach, I spot a huge elk feeding in the grass -
too cool. Upon my return to the truck, Peter pulls up in his car. I owe
him one for making this Tuba session a reality - I don't sail here alone:
just too much risk. I have a beautiful 3 year old girl who needs me and a
wife who I love.

I rig 5.2/8'8". On the beach there are big holes. We decide that just up
wind, by the trees, it looks more filled in. We hoof it up wind for 20
minutes and try to sail. Peter is powered and I schlog. Hmmm. The waves
upwind look so tempting and beautiful - big, slow, peeling tops, one after
the other. There is wind up there. I ask Peter, do you mind if we walk
some more? No, lets do it.

We decided to walk to where the wind was consistent. While walking, tons
of birds were surfing the medium size south swells. They would ride the
wind pocked of the swell and at the last moments bank off the wave -
pretty. I got in a trance watching the waves, birds and hills. We walked
all the way to the waves. Sure enough, there was wind at the waves. And
there were waves. Slow, mellow, knee/hip high ego waves.

"i'm gonna beat it on down the line" the Dead song reverbs in my head as I
pull on my wet suite. We are both powered off the beach head out in to the
surf. I make my outside jibe onto a pitching swell. Ride that mother all
the way to shore. I mean, all the way to shore. Unto the sand. The ride
was awesome. The final landing was less the graceful - it's hard to jibe on
sand. Back out for another awesome ride. And another ride. And another
one. You get the picture. It's pure heaven. Just two guys, a rising
tide, warm temperatures and an endless train of hip high waves.

If you have never been to Tuba, you must have seen pictures of the perfect
slow peeling waves. It's heaven. I saw Peter have an amazing ride while I
was sitting in the surf. He picked it great, it jacked up in time, bottom
turn, off the lip, bottom turn, down the line...........sweeeeeet. Wish I
had a video camera for that 1 minute.

I had one ride which was one of the best of my life. Hit a big fat floaty
off the lip which floated me in front of the wave. Ecstasy. I had to come
into shore to absorb that amazing ride.

We sailed for a solid 2 hours. I noticed that the sun was starting to get
low and the wind was backing off. Peter and I pointed it deep and let it
run. The wind shut off as soon as we left the surf. We hoofed it back to
an ice cold brew and tales about awesome sailing.

Peter gets a big attitude award from me. Not many people are game for
hiking 4 miles in wet suits w/gear to sail some waves. Reminds me of
hiking off piste to get fresh powder runs in the winter. Same concept,
different time of year.

"Thank god for wind, waves and friends to share it with"
                              Sailworld add.