Re: Self Rescue for Lost Fin

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 09:38:46 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:38:46 EDT
Subject: Re: Self Rescue for Lost Fin
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis

> This makes me think that a crucial part of the self rescue may be where
> you're standing on the board. Maybe it doesn't work so well unless you can
> get back, so maybe you're better off starting from a water start position.

After mysteriously losing two fins in one week during winter sailing at
berkeley, I'm becoming an expert on fin self rescue. If you want to know the
best sailing stance, try sailing your board tail first to get the feel. After
losing my last fin, I skipped the self rescue technique and just sailed it in
with no fin or drag. It is tough but possible on a 120 liter board. You have
to slip your front foot in front of the universal and keep your back foot
pretty far back. You have to use front foot pressure to drive the nose back
as it tries to round up. If you need some drag on the tail, run the waist
strap of your harness through your rear footstraps so that the bulk of the
harness is cinched to the bottom of the board where the fin was. If you think
there is any chance the buckle will pull oppen, then tie a knot in the end of
the waist line so that the harness doesn't pull free from the high drag. Yes,
I learned that one the hard way... under the Gate. Luckily a pro was sailing
by and saw me desperately eyeing the harness which was 50' behind me and
maybe not recoverable. He swept it up on the fly and dropped it to me as he
flew by.

> before it fell out. (Power box.) So from where it happened, it was a 1/2
> float down wind down wave to the new park on Albany blub.

I thought the park at the Albany land fill was a ways off. Have they done
improvements yet? I was planning to lobby their consultant for some windsurf
friendly amenities.

Peter