Re: Burlingame Development Approved

From: Jim McGrath (jmcgrath@portoakland.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 11:25:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:25:34 -0700
From: "Jim McGrath" <jmcgrath@portoakland.com-DeleteThis>
To: <CoyoteSurf@aol.com-DeleteThis>, <ErikRog@aol.com-DeleteThis>, <Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis>, <Randyboz@aol.com-DeleteThis>, <RedKen2@aol.com-DeleteThis>, <bdow@cisco.com-DeleteThis>, <cems1@earthlink.net-DeleteThis>, <happynewyear@earthlink.net-DeleteThis>, <pyliu@earthlink.net-DeleteThis>, <OConnor.Karina@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis>, <Robberson.Bill@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis>, <lbauman@fostercity.org-DeleteThis>, <TFeldstein@grmslaw.com-DeleteThis>, <allen.zimmermann@gte.net-DeleteThis>, <wndrider@hooked.net-DeleteThis>, <mtischler@mail.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis>, <jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis>, <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis>, <jameslord@pacbell.net-DeleteThis>, <MStokowski@quadramed.com-DeleteThis>, <bob@quake.net-DeleteThis>, <carlyle@savesfbay.org-DeleteThis>, <lstanley@stanleyrose.com-DeleteThis>, <buck@velaresorts.com-DeleteThis>, <atomic1@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>, <geohaye@yahoo.com-DeleteThis>, <harris4life@yahoo.com-DeleteThis>, <karinaoc@yahoo.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Burlingame Development Approved

I second the thoughts of appreciation to Peter Thorner--and to all the others who volunteered their time. Without volunteer effort, preserving our sites would not be possible.

Jim McGrath

>>> Mark Tischler <mtischler@mail.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis> 07/06/00 11:03AM >>>
Peter,
It was sad to see that after 4 hours of testimony that could
summarized by "developer's project is generally a reasonable idea
that needs to be scaled down to satisfy traffic and wind concerns"
and "stand by your planning commission's expert advice" -- the city
council had clearly already made up their minds before the meeting
and blew us all away. They ignored our letters and remarks concerning
the most recent wind tunnel results still showing significant impact,
and the conclusion that reducing to a 3 story structure would both be
in-line with other nearby project and mitigate the wind impact. The
planning commission members were sitting in the row behind me --
shaking their heads that the city council was ignoring their
unanimous recommendation to deny the project. One of them walked out
during the council summary remarks saying "this is a farce." I agree
that we succeeded in reducing the size and impact from the original
design -- I just hope it will be enough....Peter, thank you for your
dedication and hard work during this two year struggle..... mark.

At 11:54 AM -0400 7/6/00, Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis wrote:
> > I heard a segment on NPR this morning (at about 8 AM) with Thorner's brief
> > comments. I didn't catch the very beginning of the [brief] segment, but I
> > *thought* I heard that the city council approved the buildings. Can anyone
> > prove me wrong on that?
> >

>At about 11:00 pm the City Council voted 4-1 to overturn the Planning
>Commission decision and allow the project to go forward. We had a packed
>house and great testimony. The developer offered a day care center that will
>be deeded over to a non-profit that Councilman Janney is a Board Member of.
>The City Council is cleary pro-development and interested in revenue and
>growth while the Planning Commission is focused on quality of life issues. I
>want to thank everyone who put their time and energy into this effort. I
>think windsurfing at Coyote Point will suffer, but our efforts at least
>produced buildings within the height limit and shifted a bit further back and
>toward the freeway. If you only fight the fights you know you can win, then
>you have a guarantee that you will lose a lot of what you care about. I hope
>people will take this as a cue to be more involved in their local politics
>and know where your City and County representatives stand on development and
>environmental issues.
>
>Peter Thorner

Dr. Mark B. Tischler
Flight Control Group Leader