Crissy Field Alert! Send email, protect Crissy Field

From: George Haye (ghaye99@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 00:15:51 PDT

From: "George Haye" <ghaye99@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Crissy Field Alert! Send email, protect Crissy Field
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 00:15:51 PDT

Classic 3rd Avenue session late today for me. Here's the latest SFBAeNews.
Usually, I will not post these to wind_talk because most of you are already
on the eNews list. If you're not on the SFBAeNews Listbot list, please type
your email address in the box at: www.sfba.org

Crissy Field Urgent Alert! Send an email, protect Crissy Field.

San Francisco Bay: THE best urban area in the world for windsurfing!
But, now more than half of our top windsurf spots are in danger.

SAN FRANCISCO BOARDSAILING ASSOCIATION eNews June 3, 2000
Written by: George Haye (Send thoughts to: geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Last eNews got skunked: there's now a 2-day delay with Listbot.com
[This email is a tool: use it, and share it with everyone you can!]

All-volunteer unpaid SFBA folks are working several hundreds of hours per
month on very serious issues. Tonight, I'm burning the midnight oil to bring
you Dianne Younger's Crissy Field alert. Peter Thorner left our SFBA Board
meeting after 11PM Thursday night to research facts for a couple of hours
and then drive to Sacramento at 5AM to testify for nearly an hour at the
Fair Political Practices Commission hearing regarding the possible conflict
of interest of Burlingame City Councilman Galligan. Yes, WE HAVE TONS OF
ENERGY and an INDEFATIGABLE POSITIVE SPIRIT fills our sails. But, we do need
your help. Please join us and help us!

~~~~
Crissy Field Alert! by: Dianne Younger
Action Needed: Send an email. (Sample email included below. Be sure to add
your full name and mailing address in your email!)

Friday June 2, 2000

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD REGARDING THE SITUATION AT CRISSY FIELD by TUESDAY,
JUNE 6!

The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) has repeatedly asked the
windsurfing community for its patience during the construction phase at
Crissy Field. The SFBA has been working almost daily to improve the parking
and open up more areas on weekends and holidays. The SFBA has also been
working very closely with all the agencies involved to clean up the beach
and find a permanent solution to the devastating beach erosion that has been
occurring ever since the inlet was formed for the tidal basin. Now we need
the support of the community of windsurfers to show that we care about this
situation before the GGNRA holds a critical meeting with beach erosion
experts on Wednesday, June 7.

Here, in a nutshell, is the situation:

Many years ago, the SFBA was involved in the planning of the restoration of
Crissy Field. This was a huge project and windsurfers were only a small
constituency compared to the many groups who wanted to see the beach, dunes,
tidal basin, and other recreational and natural resources protected and/or
restored.

The SFBA was very effective in gaining support and an express agreement from
the GGNRA to protect, and even improve, our beach and parking area. The
inlet for the tidal basin was designed to be built on the west side of 'the
pipe', giving us plenty of room for usable beach, and allowing the pipe to
protect our beach as it had for many years. The new tidal basin and the
windsurfing beach were to coexist without one harming the other, and we were
guaranteed to have full use of the beach from the 'pipe' to the 'rip rap' on
the east end.

What has happened so far this year:

The inlet was moved at the last minute to the east side of the pipe,
breaking the original agreement and plan. As soon as the inlet was formed,
erosion started happening toward the east, on the windsurfing beach. The
GGNRA has not been able to contain the flow of water to and from the inlet
which has turned dramatically toward the east, effectively cutting off even
more beach. We are losing sand off the beach at a rate of at least a foot
per week. We estimate that we have lost about 40,000 cubic yards of sand.
This is making the beach
very narrow and very steep, and uncovering countless rocks and debris,
making the beach unsafe for bare feet and for expensive windsurfing gear.

To make matters even worse, a sand bar or shoal has built up immediately
east of the big pipe, across what used to be the mouth of the tidal basin
outlet, creating a shallow hazard to windsurfers and their gear. The GGNRA
knows about the situation, has been monitoring it, and is concerned. The
problem is that they don't know what to do!! They want us to continue to be
patient while they consult with more people and study the situation. They
have been watching our beach erode ever since February.

The problem is that we don't have any more time! The beach is eroding under
our feet at a very fast pace and is currently in an unacceptable state.
This has happened in a few short months and shows no signs of stopping. The
following is a sample letter, but please feel free to state your own
concerns. It is important at this time to let the park service know that we
cannot live with this situation and they must find a solution very quickly.

Sincerely, Dianne Younger (Sail number DY87)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Email to: carol_prince@ggnpa.org-DeleteThis

Dear Ms. Prince,

As a windsurfer, I am very concerned about rapid beach erosion at Crissy
Field. The construction project has dramatically changed the shoreline of
the windsurfing beach, effectively eliminating much of the area previously
usable for windsurfing. The daily erosion continues to uncover rocks and
debris which create a serious safety issue for all users of this beach.

We understand that you have been working with the SFBA and consulting many
experts to find a solution to this problem. We also understand that you
would like to be absolutely certain that you have a permanent long term
solution before implementing a plan. We are very concerned that this
process is taking much too long and that mitigation efforts should begin
immediately. The beach is eroding every day and will not wait for you to
come up with the perfect solution.

Please consider all reasonable alternatives, even if it means closing the
inlet to the east of the pipe and opening a new inlet in the original,
planned area to the west. Please also start a beach replenishment program
immediately to help make the beach a safe place again. We have been patient
but now the situation is intolerable. We ask that you start taking action
to restore the beach to make it the recreational asset that it once was and
could continue to be. We
are only asking that you honor the agreements made years ago between the
SFBA and the GGNRA to preserve and promote windsurfing at Crissy Field.

Thank you.