Re: Job in CA/Maui

From: GMYoung@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 21:03:43 PDT

From: GMYoung@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:03:43 EDT
Subject: Re: Job in CA/Maui
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

In a message dated 4/23/00 4:10:34 PM, surfnsuds@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis writes:

<<Hi Glenn -

I live in San Jose near the Campbell border (near Meridian and Curtner). I
am a windsurfer who has many other interests, including - guess what?
woodworking! As my father is a talented amateur watercolorist, I embarked
on a picture frame making crusade last year. I had some maple cabinet doors
and I ripped them into strips, planed them, and then used my router table to
make a simple half-round moulding with a rabbet in the back for the mats and
artwork. (To learn how to do the frame assembly, I followed a terrific book
I got at a bookstore, which I have since loaned to a friend and not gotten
back) I made about 20 frames this way.

Mat selection was interesting. This was something I had not done since
high-school art class (we're talking nearly 30 years ago) and the fellow at
the store (this was Aarons Brothers on Blossom Hill Rd) was extremely
helpful. I learned a bunch about color selection and matching them to
highlight things in the pictures.

A project I hope to work on sometime in the next few years is to make a
reproduction of an antique frame my mother gave me. In the frame is a
charcoal drawing of one of my ancestors and my mother remembers it hanging
in her grandmother's house when she (my mother) was a girl. There is
another matching charcoal drawing of the man's wife but the frame is missing
and I'd like to recreate it. It is going to be a difficult project since
the original is stained a strange orangey yellow color and there is carving
on it. But if I can do it I think it would be really worthwhile and
satisfying.

I've been a meachnical engineer for 15 years, and moved to this area from
the East Coast nearly three years ago. I am creative by nature, and am good
with people, probably because I enjoy them. I am tired of full-time
high-tech engineering, but it is hard to find an alternative that I can earn
enough at to pay the mortgage... but I keep trying to find them! Maybe
framing in Maui and Campbell is the way to go! Please tell me more!

One specific question - you mentioned that the Maui month would be part
time. As there is no surfing in the mornings in Maui, it would be ideal if
working hours were in the morning, to allow maximum possibility of sailing
the afternoons. Is that how it would work?

Well, this is an intriguing possibility.

-
- Topher Gayle surfnsuds@att.net-DeleteThis>>

Topher, Thanks for the reply. We should get together and talk. There are a
lot of possibilities for this job that would involve more than just framing,
design, and working with customers --possibly production management. But
let's talk first. The Maui plan would be to have one employee from CA, work
in Maui for a month with flexible hours. So you could start early in the
morning and windsurf all afternoon. One thing though--I don't think you
could pay the mortgage on a part time framer's position. I don't think we
could compete with a mechanical engineer's salary.

My cell phone is 408/374-7388
call or leave a message, I'll get back to you.