Re: Gear in Maui?

From: Jim Paugh (jpaugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 10:53:54 PST

Sender: James.Paugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:53:54 -0800
From: Jim Paugh <jpaugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis>
To: craig.wiesner@lmco.com-DeleteThis
CC: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Gear in Maui?

There's the other side of that coin too, it depends a lot on what
airline you fly. American to Maui goes through Honolulu, and puts you on
a Hawaiian Airline from Oahu to Maui. HA sucks huge, and will bone you
on the gear. United Air fly's direct to Maui and is much easier to deal
with on gear. If you don't think you're going to get a lot of days, you
might consider just taking a two pc mast, a boom and a couple of sails
and rent a board. Or better, leave the mast at home and rent the board
and mast. You can say it's a gear back with camping gear and they might
not charge you for it. I've got a padded boom bag that I do this with. I
can fit a 5.2 and a 4.7 in it plus a boom. If I bring nothing else, I
like to have my own boom, since that's the user interface to the rig.
Kind of gives that rental rig a home court feel. Although I tried this
on a trip in January '99, visiting friends in Maui. I knew the chances
wind were pretty low and so didn't want to bring the whole quiver. On my
return, Hawaiian Air was wise to the boom bag at check in and insisted
that it didn't look like camping gear. Demanded that I open it for
inspection. When it turned up a windsurfing boom, they charged me the
full windsurfing rate of $75 to put the boom bag on. No board, mast,
just a boom bag for $75. Like I said, HA sucks!

Bottom line, a full week of rental gear is ~$250. It's $150 round trip
to bring your own. But you only get charged rental fees for the days you
sail, so it can be considerably less than $250. It complicates the
travel day bringing your own gear, but it's particularly sweet to be on
your own gear in foreign waters (provided you have the right gear for
the conditions).

Have fun!

~Jim Paugh