Coast Guard advice re Rescue/Safety

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 13:55:44 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:55:44 EST
Subject: Coast Guard advice re Rescue/Safety
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

This information comes from the Commander of the air operations out of SFO.
Note that night searches now use night vision devices which greatly increase
the usefulness of a strobe light. While they will be getting FLIR (foward
looking infrared) in the future, it is still very difficult to locate a body
in the water because the FLIR has a narrow viewing area and because there is
a minimal amount of heat visible when most of your body is below the water.

attached mail follows: