Tubamancha, the Grand Tour

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 20:35:04 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:35:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: Wind Talkers <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Cc: Denis Loiseau <djl@abdi.com-DeleteThis>, Francis Borchers <Fbcalifornia@aol.com-DeleteThis>, james montgomery <JMONTY77@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Martin Marks <Mmdvv@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Mike T <rogue49er@aol.com-DeleteThis>, Phil Gittleman <pgitelman@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>, Jamra <jamra4@aol.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Tubamancha, the Grand Tour

Wind was up this morning.

I blew off almost everything and headed for Limantour. Launched 145 lbs at
11:30 on the 5.3 Nalu and the 8'6 Naish. zipped up the beach well powered.
Stopped 2/3 up for more downhaul - much bettah. sailed small clean waves
at Steam Engines for an hour, but they were breaking very close to shore
in light wind, not much set action comming through, so on one outbound
reach i just kept going and going and going, and the wind was nice and
strong and steady so i ended up over at the Chimney Rock fish docks
sailing around some anchored crab boats... nobody awake. Didn't land cuz
I didn't want to risk a nearshore swim in the chilly water. Took a few
broad reaches down to Chimney Rock, again went real close to shore but
found flukiness in close. Water got real choppy with swell comming from
2 or three directions, and some big swells rolling through, much like in
the vicinity of Bodega Rock. I kept reaching downwind untill the Bouy
was attainable, then went out to visit. It's Green with a number 1 on
it, and it whistles and groans. The wind is light cuz it's in the lee of
the headland. Once around the bouy it was one direct reach back to the
launch, about 5 miles in about 20 minutes.

I sailed alone but had radio contact with JP on the beach.
He was picking mushrooms!

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis