life of poo: Not winnie

From: Erik Eiseman (eeiseman@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 09:58:08 PST

From: "Erik Eiseman" <eeiseman@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: life of poo:  Not winnie
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:58:08 -0800

East Bay Mun. Utilities Dist.

They are responsible for wastewater runoff from the east bay. This area
contains everything from Walnut Creek to Berkeley. They get your water from
reservoirs in the beautiful sierra foothills. This water is brought to
water treatment centers all over the bay area. From there it is pumped to
your homes and 10 minute warm showers after last Sunday. In between there
are enclosed reservoirs and other pumping stations.

>From the drain- the water heads to EBMUD's main wastewater treatment
facility located directly to the south of the bay bridge -east side
obviously. From there viola! Those pretty white caps have a history.
Interesting fact. That facility used to burn off excess methane gas now 60%
of the facility is powered by this waste gas with most solid waste going to
the central valley to grow stuff to sell back to us.

More. EBMUD also now operates 2 overflow facilities one at pt. Isabel and
one at oakport. These serve as overflow stations to contain storm overflow
for the main center. "the flow" then heads to the main center by the bay
bridge when it is ready. At least 2 more of these facilities are in the
works.

Enjoy. This is not only something in the bay area. After spending a few
summers at The Gorge it suffers similar problems. Hillsides have few trees
to catch the run off so its a direct path from the farms and ranches to the
river. BAD levels will surge after storms there too. Something to think
about when fertilizing those beautiful lawns. Or when that gas accidentally
overspills. Kinda like hiking on short cuts making it easier for the water
to flow and deposit its good and bad into the bay.

Note: It is amazing that the water is making an attempt to reclaim itself
at Crissy Field. Check it out!

I am no expert just reporting some facts.

Almost Friday. And stay away from yellow snow-harder to see in the
water=ski more.