Re: Winter Sailing Tips?

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 16:25:19 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:25:19 EST
Subject: Re: Winter Sailing Tips?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

In a message dated 11/8/99 3:57:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, bdow@cisco.com-DeleteThis
writes:

> 1) Where do you sail on SE, S, SW? Is Alameda any good?

Alameda is great on pretty much all southerly with maybe a S to SE bias. You
get big swells and big air. It is a long walk on low tide but it is sailable
as long as you go further out.

> 1.2) Why was Berkeley so strong Sunday? I would have thought
> on a SE Berkely would be in the lee of its own hills.

SE as reported by Call of the Wind pretty much blows straight in at the main
launch area at Berkeley. I had numerous 3.5-4.5 sessions there last winter.
You have to fight upwind from the docks but there is great chop inside so it
is no big deal if you don't make it upwind where you can take a straight
reach to TI.

> 2) Do you worry about water quality if you sail after a
> storm?

I got sick once at Berkeley and felt it coming on with a 1/2 hour of getting
out of the water. EBMUD told me that their storm drains and sewer drains are
not all in tact and in heavy weather sewer may get into the runoff. It is
likely a function of how heavy the rain has been within a short period. If we
get a 1/2" to 1" in couple of hours, I'd be wary. Most of the time 95%+ I've
been fine.

> 3) How do you explain this to your SO who got neglected
> in the summer and was promised that the season is
> "only 3 months long"?

Tell her you are doing survey work for baykeeper as a volunteer to help
protect the environment for future generations... or try my trick - get fired
by your SO for windsurfing too much and never have to come up with a story
again (until the next one comes along).

Peter