Re: Albany WS Site

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 16:14:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:14:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Albany WS Site

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Booker Bense wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 rossb@wellsfargo.com-DeleteThis wrote:
>
> > I'm worried that the sand beach is recessed and that it will be hard to get
> > upwind and out of it so that you can sail above the point where the old rock
> > jetties are. I haven't been there in years so I'm not sure what there is
> > now for a beach. I remember biking across one that was between the race
> > track and the new park. I think that in a regular WSW you'd have to get
> > upwind 1/4 to 1/2 mile to get a decent lengh reach--one long enough to get
> > upwind.
> >

> - That was my thought as well. If you could get access to the very end
> of the point that would be great. I sail pretty often between there
> and the kite park. As I recall there is a bit of wind shadow if you
> get too far downwind in that area. It could be a great beginner spot,
> consistant onshore winds on a fairly nice sandy beach. I have no idea
> how far the sand extends into the water.

- I looked around some more today and if the new park is actually
the land south of the race track, that would be a pretty decent
launch as well. The wind was definitely stronger than at Pt. Isabell.
It's at enough of an angle that you could easily get upwind and
there's no wind shadow there.

- Booker C. Bense