Eye Surgery reviews - INTACS

From: Rick Voreck (voreck.rick@ssd.loral.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 10:59:32 PDT

Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:59:32 -0700
From: "Rick Voreck" <voreck.rick@ssd.loral.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Eye Surgery reviews - INTACS

I did indeed have a bad experience with Intacs. It was EXTREMELY
painful for about 12 hours, then mildly uncomfortable for a couple of
weeks. However, that's not the bad part. I received virtually no
benefit from the procedure, and had a significant astigmatism introduced
where none existed before. I have since had the ring removed, and am
relieved to say that the claim that it's reversible has proved to be
true so far.

I'll also pass along a comment made to me by a doctor at Kaiser in
Redwood city. He used to be a colleague at UCSF of the doctor that
performed my surgery, and was involved in the Intacs study. He now
performs Lasik at Kaiser. He feels that the published study results for
Intacs are misleading, and that the success rate is much lower than with
Lasik. He's especially skeptical of using them for corrections higher
than 3 diopters (still in the study phase).

More anecdotal stories regarding Lasik: I know two people here at Loral
who have had Lasik (one person had PRK in one eye and Lasik in the
other), and both are thrilled. Recovery was much better than for Pierre
(for Lasik, anyway... PRK definitely took longer).

I'm contemplating Lasik, but haven't made a final decision yet. After
the Intacs debacle, I'm appreciating my regular myopic vision a lot more
these days!

-Guy Fenner
SS/L

Forwarded by