SFO Expansion - Volunteers needed!

From: George Haye (ghaye99@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 07:21:13 PDT

From: "George Haye" <ghaye99@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: SFO Expansion - Volunteers needed!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 07:21:13 PDT

Wow. Coyote was great yesterday. 4.2 and lots of ramps. Hmm. I want more.

Here's a message that I sent out to a few folks. If you want to get more
involved in this thing, keep reading. Richard Zimmerman is trying to get a
Committee of windsurfers together who want to work more on depth on the SFO
expansion threat. If you've been following this and want to do a lot more --
to save Coyote and maybe several other spots, keep reading. I've been
contributing by getting the word out to people, and Richard Zimmerman will
be coordinating the volunteers. BUT, if windsurfers are going to have a
maximum impact in the process, several more dedicated people will need to
step forward and take on different roles - whatever is right for you. If you
want to go for it,
send an e-mail to Richard: wndrider@hooked.net-DeleteThis

-----------------------------------

urgent alert!.....see SFBA Website for more info.
.....News.....Letter-writing opportunity.....And, for the truly
dedicated: *Volunteers are needed to get involved in the process and
represent the windsurfing community*...

  SF Bay windsurfing access threat!

  SFO runway expansion would cut off COYOTE POINT and EMBASSY SUITES
from the open Bay. This would destroy windsurfing as we know it at
these spots, which may also be silted in and turned to unsailable
marshland. OYSTER POINT, GENENTECH, and FLYING TIGERS would also be
cut off from the open Bay, and could be silted in. THIRD AVENUE and
OLD THIRD AVENUE could also be lost for windsurfing if mud levels
and/or sandbars rise substantially as a result of massive
hydrological changes caused by the *tremendous* amount of Fill that
SFO seeks to drop into the Bay. The runway construction would take a
decade, would PERMANENTLY harm windsurfing in the Bay Area, and
would have numerous other serious environmental impacts.

  If the Peninsula spots are lost (or even if Coyote Point alone is
lost), all other Bay area windsurf spots would be much more crowded,
especially CRISSY FIELD, WADDELL CREEK, BERKELEY, the DELTA, and
CANDLESTICK-possibly the only place to windsurf in the future in the
Peninsula & South Bay?. This is a real threat. The damage can be
prevented. It will be a hard fight, but many laws and many people
are on our side as well. With your help, WE CAN WIN. : ) Keep
reading.

  See the SFBA website for a link to all the info, news articles,
modified SATELLITE PHOTOS, calendar of meetings... and to keep up to
date over the next months (and years): http://www.sfba.org/sfo.htm

(1) Everyone: Send a letter. Letters must be received by September
9, 1999 to be considered in the environmental review process. See
the SFBA website link above for all the info and a SAMPLE LETTER
that you can send in. Original letters are much better, but mailing
a signed copy of the sample letter will help!

(2) *CRITICAL* If you want to get more involved and be a dedicated
volunteer to protect windsurfing at our spots, join the Committee of
windsurfers which is forming to present a strong voice at meetings
with the airport, governmental agencies, etc. VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED
NOW -- without more people getting seriously involved now, we may
lose some of our best and highest-capacity windsurf spots! Save The
Bay and the Sierra Club are also fighting for windsurfers'
interests, but windsurfers should be sitting at the table, too.
There will be many ways to help as a member of the Committee,
depending on the amount of time you want to and are able to dedicate
- including: reviewing findings in the EIR and EIS, attending
meetings with government agencies, helping to get other people
involved, etc.

  **If you're interested in being on the Committee, send an e-mail
to:
RICHARD ZIMMERMAN**: wndrider@hooked.net-DeleteThis

---> Please get involved - to whatever extent is right for you -
even if that means just sending a letter. <---

Otherwise, the offseason may be forever...

Thank you,
George Haye
San Francisco Boardsailing Association