RE: Tubamancha

From: Jon Morse (Jon@LiveToPlay.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 14:34:31 PDT

From: "Jon Morse" <Jon@LiveToPlay.com-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Tubamancha
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:34:31 -0700

Gordon,

Good call on this. As one who has sailed Tuba before- the most important
thing to remember is the buddy system.

Case in point, a few years ago I was sailing at Tuba with a friend and the
wind came up big time. We were way OP on 4.7's, but continued sailing
because it's too much of a schlep to sail back and re-rig. I went for a
jump at maximum velocity, tried a way overpowered back loop, and ended up
all wrong, kissing my boom backwinded and splitting my entire eyebrow open.

I'm sure you can all imagine how excited I was for the downwinder back to
Limantour, bleeding like a stuck pig.

It took my buddy a good ten minutes to convince me that I had to sail down
(I was not at all looking forward to getting back into the water) since I
needed stiches.

Fortunately my friend stayed with me for the entire downwinder, and drove me
to Marin General where the nice nurse administered 9 stiches.

I'll save for the later the story the nurse told me about her friends dog
that went for a swim off Limantour beach and didn't come back.