3rd days

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 02:11:01 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:11:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd days

-------------- 19 Jul - 7 Aug family roadtrip - Tetons, Yellowstone, river trip

-------------- 8 Aug - 13 Aug no wind!

Yikes! Four weeks of summer w/o sailing. Pitiful.

============= Sat 14 Aug 99 - 3rd - 5.4/8'11 (192#) 3:30-5:30

SFO blew 240 @ 18-23 g24-29 all afternoon. This gave us reasonably
good conditions at 3rd (or maybe it just seemed good in my wind-starved
state :-). Compared to a normal day, it was gusty and way SW - we hit
the channel halfway between our marker 8A and marker 8. Water was mostly
fairly flat; even after slack at 4:20, we only got 3' swells.

I was glad to have the 5.4 - had to downhaul it some more on the water -
and happy to have my new Fat Mutant for the lulls. As I get more used
it, I like it more and more. It turns on a dime - tighter than my 257!
It rarely spins out, though I did have one spin-out-catch-the-rail-and-
go-over-the-bars experience yesterday. It didn't seem fast at first,
but as I get it dialed, it's getting a lot faster.

Michael and I sailed up to marker 8, sailed back down just a little and
finally made the reach straight back to the launch from near 8.
Strange conditions, but nice to be sailing.

============= Tue 17 Aug 99 - 3rd - 5.4/257,8'11 (192#) 4:00-6:15

Good WNW wind. I sailed alone at 3rd (Michael out of town).

5.4 was just enough to go upwind on the small board for the first hour.
Some nice 2-3' swell near the edge of the channel. Same wind inside and
outside. About 5:00 there was a big lull and it took some work to get
in from so far upwind.

Sailed another hour on the new 8'11. Again, it started out strong
for half an hour and then backed off.

Nice day for a flood day!
(I even got back to the launch through both wind lulls. :-)

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in boats."
                                        -- Toad, "The Wind in the Willows"