RE: maui rental gear

From: Jeff Milum (jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 12:33:28 PDT

From: Jeff Milum <jmilum@saba.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: maui rental gear
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:33:28 -0700

My two cents on this is that every time I've been to Maui I've wanted both
of my boards (and ones I don't even own). I've sailed many days in 5.2
(even 5.5 a couple of days) and had many days on 4.0's and a few on 3.5's (3
in a week this June). Sure it's possible to make one board work for
everything and I've done so many times, but it's not that much fun trying to
keep your self together on a board that works great for 5.0 in 3.5 wind with
some of the ridiculous air you can get in Maui.

The ability to go and get anything from the latest 120 liter race board or
superwide or 70 litre Naish 8-4 with a 7 minute drive to the shop is worth
something.

Two boards would cost you $300 plus the many hassles of traveling with all
that gear. Multiply that even more with a spouse.

Plus no wind days can change equation even more.

And there's a lot that can happen to a board going two ways on an airplane.

I'd say if you're going for a week it's not worth it. For two weeks I'd
take my own stuff.