RE: Where is Davis Point?

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 14:40:42 PDT

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Where is Davis Point?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:40:42 -0700

Yes-

Go north on 80 heading towards the Carquinez bridge. Take the Willow St.
exit in Rodeo, and head toward the Bay/ into the city of Rodeo. Willow
turns into Parker Dr. While on Parker, take a left onto Pacific Ave.
Follow Pacific Ave over the train tracks, bear left where it T's and you're
there.... (It's also called Lone Tree Point
http://mapfinder.nos.noaa.gov/mfimages/Charts/18654_1.gif)

I've had some epic, A+ days there this year.... This place gets huge,
easily the best swells in the bay when you hit it right. Every time I go,
the only sailors there are the guys I came with (3rd Ave/ coast sailors). I
still can't figure out why no one goes there?!

We made a big deal "outing" this place last year (see wind_talk archive for
june, 98): http://www.stanford.edu/~bbense/wind_talk/Jun98/

There's good, accurate wind info for the place at
http://nimbo.wrh.noaa.gov/Monterey/SFODARDC.html
If it's 18+, a 180 pounder should be ok on a 5.2ish sail.

You can find the tides and currents on Xtide...

I know that some people (some of my buddies included) would like to keep
this place under wraps, but I think the more people that sail there, the
safer it will be, and the better we'll understand the wind/ tide info.

DP does have big currents, and the channel where all the swells are is way
out (maybe twice as far out as 3rd). On lighter days, the windline is a few
hundred yards offshore (On good days you plane off the beach on your 4.0)
I wouldn't go on a flood...

Brad