Re: Sailing out of control & sailing tired

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 15:44:56 PDT

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sailing out of control & sailing tired

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 lorinjohn@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis wrote:

> I sail a Veloce 278 (9'2") (fin = 33cm... fairly straight) and quite often I
> feel completely out of control. Typical places I sail are Sherman Island,
> Berkeley, Pt. Isabel, the 'Stick, and (recently) Crissy. The most
> comfortable I feel is at the 'Stick (I suspect since it is very flat.). My
> issues are that the board appears to come nearly completely out of the water
> and becomes squirrelly (i.e., rocking from weather to leeward). Typically,
> this problem is most pronounced in bumpy conditions. I don't jump nor carve
> yet (at least not on purpose). When I'm at my best, I'm sailing very fast
> in flat conditions (i.e., boring for the advanced sailor but gives me a
> rush... while I'm still an intermediate). If it helps, I'm 190-195 lbs.

- You don't say what size sail you are using. It sounds like your fin
is too big for the conditions. If you're using anything smaller than
a 5.5m sail or so, that's too much fin. You may have too much sail
as well.... One key to surviving chop is to bend your knees to suck
it up, kind of like mogul skiing. Getting another size fin is the
cheapest way to get the most out of your board.

- Booker C. Bense