New Charts depicting the SFO Runways, etc.

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 18 1999 - 22:31:15 PDT

From: George Haye <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: New Charts depicting the SFO Runways, etc.
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:31:15 PDT

To those who are unclear about what's up with the SFO expansion: WINDSURFING
IN THE BAY AREA WILL TAKE A DEVASTATING LOSS IF THE RUNWAYS GO IN.

Here is a link to Richard Zimmerman's SFO-Expansion info website. He's a
windsurfer and activist. It has charts and info and DATES on the public
meetings coming up:

http://www.hooked.net/~wndrider/sfia/sfia.html

One of the charts, "ALTERNATIVE F2", includes the approximate location of
how far the runway lights will stick out (although they will stick out
further than these charts suggest, I think, if the current runway lights out
in the Bay are any indication.) Chart F2 will blow your head off. Examine
how far out those runways are going to extend, and then GET PISSED OFF.

We ALL need to get involved now, or we ALL will lose BIG TIME. As the
Director of Save The Bay said, "IT'S TIME TO IGNITE A CITIZENS REVOLT"
against the SFO Expansion.

Several windsurfers who I talked to about the Coyote-buildings situation
thought there was NO WAY we could possibly win that battle. WELL, WE WON
THAT BATTLE. (I know the Burlingame drama is far from over - there may be an
appeal, etc., but we've come "a long way" as Peter Thorner said.)

To those of you who do not think it's possible to win the SFO battle:
If you are not sure it's worth your time to get involved even a little bit,
let me offer a suggestion:
THINK ABOUT THOSE THINGS IN 10 YEARS. Right now, we need everyone to get
involved. If you windsurf in the SF Bay Area, then WE NEED YOU TO HELP. At
the very least, join SAVE THE BAY. (www.savesfbay.org)(510-452-9261). They
oppose all bay fill and they are leading the fight against SFO. When you
join, tell them you are concerned about the runways' devastating impacts to
windsurfing. Give them your e-mail address.

If you are reading this, at least do that much.

If you can do more, make sure that all of your friends get involved, come to
the meetings (SEE THE ABOVE WEBSITE FOR INFO), consider speaking at the
meetings, inform the media about the threats to windsurfing and other bay
recreation.

Think about it. Many of us moved to the bay area for windsurfing. Many of us
structure our lives around windsurfing, at least on summer weekends. WE
WOULD PERSONALLY BE HURT MORE THAN ANY OTHER GROUP OF BAY AREA CITIZENS IF
THE RUNWAYS ARE EXPANDED! Coyote would die, and all other sites including
3RD AVENUE, WADDELL, DAVENPORT, CRISSY would be much more crowded. Even 3RD
AVENUE and the still yet-to-be-born SEAL POINT could be destroyed if the bay
hydrology is changed such that increased mud and silt are deposited along
the San Mateo and Foster City coasts. Possibly every site south of
Candlestick could be cut off, ruined by increased mud and silt, or both:
Oyster Point, Flying Tigers, Marriott Flats, Embassy Suites, Coyote Point,
Seal Point, Third Avenue, Old Third Avenue... (Can you say "Let's all meet
at Foster City Lagoon?")

-> Chris Rowe reported that John Martin/SFO told a windsurfer at the
Mountain View meeting last Tuesday that legally there must be a 'net
benefit' to windsurfers if the project is to go through. WELL, THAT IS
IMPOSSIBLE. If Coyote Point is cut off from the Bay, there will be NO WAY
that a net benefit can occur. THERE ARE NO MORE MAJOR UNTAPPED ACCESS
POINTS. {Seal Point (the old San Mateo landfill site between Third Avenue
and Coyote Point) is already being planned as a park, and windsurfing access
will be one of the uses, opening in 2001, or 2002...} It is not available
for mitigation. In fact, if the runways go in, there is NO BAYFRONT PARCEL
available for mitigation. 6 or 8 windsurf sites may be ruined, all they
could offer us in terms of mitigation would be a windsurfing simulator.