Re: Fiberspar twist locks slipping

From: Bob Prevett (prevett@thelma.NVidia.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 10:48:53 PDT

From: "Bob Prevett" <prevett@thelma.NVidia.COM-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: "Bob Prevett" <prevett@nvidia.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:48:53 -0700
Subject: Re: Fiberspar twist locks slipping

I had this exact problem happen to me in April with an all carbon Fiberspar boom
bought one year earlier. For a temporary fix to sail the rest of the afternoon that
day, I slid off the twist lock sleeve, put a few wraps of duct tape around the boom
end just below the ridge/teeth, and then twisted down the locking sleeve again. It
held for remainder of the session. It gave enough additional pressure to hold the
worn down ridges into the grooves.

The next day, I brought the boom back to ASD where I had bought it. The boom was
bought exactly 1 year and 3 days earlier; they were totally cool about it and fixed
for me for free under warranty. They had the required parts for the repair, and also
for sale for do-it-yourself repairs. He removed the worn out tooth parts, and then
used West Systems epoxy to attach the new parts.

As far as why the teeth wore out so fast on my boom, I really don't know. This was my
large boom, which is rarely used in sandy conditions. I had been very careful about
feeling for teeth being alligned in the groove before locking down. It just may be the
case the these plastic parts are going to wear out fast and thus required periodic
replacement.

Bob