Centenario de Millenio

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 23:49:02 PDT

From: TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 02:49:02 EDT
Subject: Centenario de Millenio
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

TRIPPY STUFF
BB & I went down in the Nomad Cactus Jumper trailer with a fairly smooth trip
except for one incident. Due to fatigue and a momentary lapse of attention
our back wheel on the trailer ran off the shoulder of the narrow Baja road
south of San Quintin. I was taking a rest in the back and suddenly awoke to
the van swerving to and fro pulling major S turns and cutbacks from the
trailer hitting the lip (of the road). According to our amigos in the camper
behind us who were following in caravan, we actually pulled off an arial when
the camper's dual left axles left the pavement and came pounding down. We
quickly regained control and slowly got our composure back. Everything was
OK except, upon inspection we discovered that we flattened our left leaf
springs.

The old spot looked so good when we approached the final hill after knocking
all our springs and fillings loose on those crazy lazy dusty Baja trails.
White caps and corduroy on the HOrizon. Its so refreshing to suddenly see
the vast blueness after all the consistent endless shades of brown. Too late
to sail so we managed to make camp, drink Margaritas, and BQ our harris
steaks before crashing down to rest.

Wake up to wind blowing and rigging after breakfast. When its 9:30 AM and
the speed is 25+ you know its going to blo and its going to be a loooong day.
 No big rush to get out there, but man the swell was looking sweet. I've
been there about ten times and it felt like 'no place like home.' We sailed
our asses off on 4.7's and 4.2's.

CAMPY STUFF:
We captured the big campsite on the end of the pt and for 4 days nobody else
was there except us. 'Us' composed of B&T in the Nomad, and our 3 amigos in
the Southwind camper, the Vela crew of K,L, and Rick. With our trailer and
camper we had major wind-block and a great camp. Bob brought a Spectra water
maker which he was demoing. In 5 days we desalinized over 40 gallons of
water off of a 12 volt battery. Pretty COOL to take Hot showers after sailing
all day in BAJA. I managed to do some Baja Blacksmithing and fix the leaf
springs. Rick brought clubs and set up an Enduro primitive course for the
Cactus Open.

SAILIN:
We had swell every day for 9 days. Mostly shoulder to logo+ wind swell was
coming in consistently with spread out larger sets. A South swell came in
for about 3 days which brought in longer more consistent waves that connected
around the point and allowed for long (20+ bottom turns) rides. These sets
came in mast high and occasionally a bit bigger.

I (#190/ 8'6) mostly sailed a 4.7 and 5.2 but I used my 4.2 quite a bit and
the 5.8 a couple of times. I was sailing my new ASD custom 8'6 Enduro with
the new shape and a little surfier style that Bob made for me. It worked
like a charm and turned nice and loose but held a big wave. Its pretty wide,
but has continuous V and good rocker so it handled just fine in flat out 4.2
wired up conditions (30+). I used a X-core and a 8.75" Enduro fin which
worked pretty well, but the real FUN came when I put on the Polokow 8.75' fin
that i got in Maui. Wow what a difference. I was instantly going more
vertical and slashing the lip without hesitation or loss of speed. These are
the best fins i've ever tried.

Adios, its getting late and pretty long.
to be cont. (maybe)
T:-] D