Re: Coyote to Alameda?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 14:29:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Coyote to Alameda?

> >From the nautical charts, on a roughly WNW wind (or 290 degrees, to be
> precise), it's a straight beam reach from Coyote Point to the beach in
> Alameda.

I think you'll run out of wind going to Alameda; much better wind going to
San Leandro from 3rd. Race gear is definately the call, since it has
the widest range.

I found this record of a previous voyage. The bits are old and
mildewed, but the writing is still legible.

"We're on a mission. A mission from God." -- The Blues Brothers

============ Sun 19 May 96 - 3rd & points east - 6.0/9'1,8'9 (190#)

Despite predictions for rain showers all weekend, Sunday turned into a
good sailing day. I did a little shopping and almost bought The
Deviator, a new device to attach to a mast base which prevents the
mast+boom from landing on a slalom board's nose. I decided to let ASD
try it out first and see if it takes out mast tracks instead.

Since it was looking like a big-gear day, Jay and Michael and I decided
to sail towards the Unknown East. "There should be a water passage to
an eastern harbor out that way somewhere," alleged Jay. Defying
usual experience, we succeeded in linking up on the water and our three
vessels Headed East (yes, I toured the replica of Columbus' Nina earlier
in the day). Most of the way, we planed well-powered (I had 6.0/9'1,
Michael 5.4/8'10, 145#, Jay 6.2/8'10, all ASD Course Slalom boards of
various vintages, I think). Eventually, the wind started to get light,
and the crew started to mutter of mutiny, but we were On A Mission, so
we pressed on. To our surprise, we actually found pairs of channel
markers leading into a harbor. These were downwind of us. Michael
stayed powered and buzzed down to the channel, but Jay was slogging most
of the time. I was planing about half the time, and very glad of my big
board. We passed immediately south of the Oakland airport, and the wind
freshened enough to let us all plane again.

We made a ceremonial landfall there (foot touching the riprap) and
claimed this new land in the name of 3rd Avenue. We christened it
San Leandro after the patron saint of leeward catapults. The two
savages windsurfing out of the San Leandro harbor were naturally awed
by our power and skills and kept a respectful distance. We all commented
on what perfect conditions we had for this Voyage of Discovery. Later
generations of cartographers would conclude that this journey was 9.9
miles NNE from 3rd Ave, and took around 40 minutes.

We were low on provisions, so we headed back. The wind quickly came up
some more and we were reminded that on that side of the Bay, you head
into the chop on starboard tack. In fact, as we started passing the channel
markers for the harbor, it became clear that the wind was way up (22g27
from San Bruno Mtn say the historians). Jay and Michael were a little
overpowered, but my sail was way overpowered. I kept stopping to adjust
it, generally by spinning out and falling in or getting slammed.
(Really, I meant to do that.) After a while, I decided that Michael and
Jay were doing so well on their 8'10's that I spun out, caught an edge,
catapulted and took 4" off the nose of my 9'1. Sadly, even my new 8'9
snubnose was not much help for my overpowered sail. At some point while
I was floundering in the water, Jay lost us (not from want of looking).
Michael stuck with me the rest of the way back, running circles around
me when I would crash, sort of like one of those herding dogs.

We eventually dragged our tired vessels (and bodies) up on the beach for
repairs. Mine is now awaiting repair at the ASD Shipyard. Maybe I'll
get that Deviator.