Re: board repair

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 01:48:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 01:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: board repair

> While we're on the (perennial) topic of broken production boards, I
> think I flat-landed my Mistral Screamer II one too many times.
> There's a minor but definite crease across the bottom of the board
> about a foot in front of the mast track, from rail to rail. The deck
> is fine. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the board but
> I'm worried that it's a sign of internal damage and I'll end up in the
> middle of the bay with half a board. Has anyone else seen this kind
> of thing? Am I nuts to keep sailing this board?

I have heard of this before, and yes, it sure sounds like the whole
bottom must be damaged for this to happen. Think of things like
carbon fibers - they are very strong against tension, but snap
if bent sharply. You could have lost much of the strength of
the board with that crease.

My guess is that even though you only need the part behind the mast to
plane, that you'll have a hard time getting going without the nose. :-)
Time to retire that board.

"There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a
suitable application of high explosives."