RE: Boom choices

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 16:04:43 PDT

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Boom choices
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:04:43 -0700

>>-BTW, technically aluminum doesn't corrode, what happens is that
metals in the seawater deposit on the surface ( aluminum is a
cathode ? Some chemist will correct me.). This build up of
material stresses the aluminum and causes it to crack.

Booker-

Aluminum does corrode, but it doesn't rust. Rust is what we call the red
oxide product that happens when iron or steel corrodes. Aluminum corrosion
(or oxide) product is white. Aluminum (like most anything else) can either
be a cathode or an anode, depending on what type of electrochemical cell
you've got. Corrosion only affects your stresses by reducing section
thicknesses or by causing cracks.

I agree with what you said about rinsing, though!

Let's get back to windsurfing... Davenport had big waves and lots of wind
on Saturday - lots of broken gear, not due to corrosion though...

Brad James
(metallurgist at large)